Tuesday, April 26, 2016

April 26

The stim bike went a little better today. I was supposed to have Aqua therapy at 10:30, like I do every Tuesday in the small pool (with the Aqua treadmill). Buuuttt...when I went to get ready, the pool staff informed me that I wasn't scheduled. Apparently, something had gotten messed up with the scheduling. So everyone was frantically trying to find a therapist that was free to get into the pool with me. Eventually, they found a therapist named Meredith to cover my session. We didn't get to be on the Aqua treadmill, but we were able to do a lot of core activities and some standing in the bigger pool. She was impressed with my shoulder and neck posture (which I guess many patients struggle with).  She said she definitely felt activity in the back of my thighs and was excited that we were able to do some standing with just the two of us. She really wanted me to stand, but didn't know if it'd work out since no one else was free to help us. But we tried anyways and she used a strap around my hips and blocked my knees from bending. I was able to pull my hips forward and maintain pretty good alignment. 

I was on the Geo with the spinal stim in the afternoon and I think it looked the best it has ever looked...my knees were actually straightening and my heels were driving down, making for good foot placement. It looked more like walking instead of skating.

It was so beautiful that I was able to go outside for some more practice with wheelchair skills. I went backwards down curbs and then had to push up ramps (which was quite the arm workout!) I then did some more wheelies- learning how to do static wheelies, wheelies while moving and wheelies down ramps. It was fun and I impressed both Dennis and myself with how quickly I picked up on it all.  

The night ended with some excitement...I was sitting in bed, stretching and trying to move my lower body, like always. But something felt different in my left foot...I looked down and realized I WAS moving my three littler toes on the left foot!! I've talked to so many patients that said their leg movement started with just a toe wiggle...a guy named Howard actually just told me that today!! Crazy timing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment