Wednesday, March 9, 2016

March 9

Is it possible that today was even better than yesterday? Therapy didn't start until 11, so I got to sleep in a little, eat breakfast in bed, and take my time in the shower- it was great! I had OT first with Macy. We connected right away when she told me her grandfather went to the same optometry school as me. She asked me if I use a wooden transfer board or some other kind- I can't even remember the name. Since I hadn't heard of the other one, I asked to see it. It was so cool! It's a transfer board with a disc on a track...you put it under you and can slide yourself because the center part moves...it's perfect because you can use with without help and it doesn't hurt your skin by shearing (which is my problem when I don't get a good enough lift). She said she could go ahead and put an order in for me and they already have letters written up for insurance. I was impressed at how prepared they were and how matter of fact it seemed when she said she could order it. She used stim on my hands while we did fine motor exercises and played "Mastermind." It's a mind game for ages 8+, but I don't know how kids play it! It was challenging, but I loved it...kind of like the enjoyment I get out of sudoku. She also used stim on my back while I did some reaching and balancing.

I had 3 more hours of PT with Becky in the afternoon. The first hour was spend making splints for my legs and feet...basically, like a boot made out of cast material that I'll wear at night for a constant stretch. I spent the rest of the time on the stim bike- I logged a full hour (I'm used to barely doing 30 minutes) and 6.5 miles! My therapist was impressed with how well I was doing and my goal is to keep increasing the power in order to do this other stim machine that suspends you and works on standing and walking. She thinks I'll be able to do it, I just need to increase my power and have my muscles not fatigue as quickly. I liked that I was the only patient she was working with. All her attention was on me- she answered any question I had and spent a long time pulling up charts and data from all my stim bike sessions. I warned her that Dusty is going to love it and have a million of his own questions when he shows up Monday and Tuesday, haha. Seriously though, I can't wait for him to see everything for himself.

I spent a little bit of time outside after therapy, enjoying how absolutely beautiful it's been. While we waited for the valet to get our car (they park our car for us everyday), I met a girl named Kristin and her parents. She's 21, from Tennessee, and in a wheelchair. She was so nice and we started talking right away. She just started this week as well and we were telling each other what we've done so far and she told me that I'm going to really enjoy the pool tomorrow. Her dad said she got sick in April (paralyzed from the waist down) when they were on vacation in North Carolina...she spent time in the hospital at Duke and it took two months before she got the diagnosis of transverse myelitis...she was excited to hear that I had something similar and could relate. Her parents and her drive from their grandparents' house in Delaware each day, so we told them about the courtesy house we've been staying at. It'd be really great if they could stay here and we had more time to get to know each other. I can only imagine how she feels having dealt with all this for almost a year... I was thinking six months was too long for me to handle.

Mom and I got really great Mexican food for dinner. During our meal, an older man stopped and asked me what happened. We told him and he told us about how he's 83, not very religious, but goes to church every week. He was wounded in Korea and almost lost his leg. He got sick  when he was 52 and almost lost his leg again. He said he prayed to Jesus and knows He saved him and told me that God will get me through, He's all I need and not to give up. I look at these encounters as God sending these people to give me hope. I usually meet strangers like this at just the right times, right when I need a pick me up. I wasn't down or anything tonight (quite the opposite), but it reminded to keep thanking God and not get caught up in being so overwhelmed and excited about all that's happening here in Baltimore that I forget to thank Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment