Thursday, March 24, 2016

March 24

I got to KKI early today in order to get on the stim bike before my regular scheduled therapy. I put in almost 6 miles in one hour! I was happy to see that the stim didn't jump up to 100% right away in order to get me to the target speed. It actually only required about 70% to reach the speed, which is a lot less than I've seen before.

I then spent some time outside, soaking up this beautiful weather after lunch. Therapy was 2-5 and I even got there a little bit early. Dennis had me get into the mobile standing frame and do a couple laps around the gym- something way harder than it sounds. I love that it has wheels, but they're a little too low for my arms, so it takes forever to move very far. My arms were sore after about 5 minutes! I stayed in the standing frame for awhile and played wii...I suck at wii dance, but I did win at wii table tennis, haha.

I did a lot of arm and ab exercises and then some transfer work to try to help me get over my fear of leaning forward...it's getting better, but I still hate it! 

I got to do the G-EO again, but this time we used stim while I was on it. It went even better this time than last time! Dennis could feel quad contraction the whole time! It's the first time they felt that much activation and the first time it didn't fatigue...it was even there without the stim turned on. 

Mom and I decided to go out to eat to celebrate, but things didn't really go as planned. We went downtown, but surprisingly didn't see any handicapped parking...which is unusual because I feel like whenever you're somewhere trying to parallel park, the only open spots are the handicapped ones. And when we did see a spot, it wasn't one that would work because there was a curb or there wasn't enough room to get me out. We finally found a parking garage with spots that had enough room to get the wheelchair out and next to the passenger side. We wanted to go to this burger place a few of the therapists recommended...even looked it up online and saw that it was handicap accessible, but when we got there, there were three steps to get in, no ramp, and all the tables looked like high tops. What exactly is handicap accessible about that? So we gave up and decided to try another place. It was a Tex-mex restaurant that seemed pretty popular. They also only had high tops, but we asked to sit outside instead. The manager said you can't block the sidewalk outside, meaning I would've had to transfer onto one of the benches at the outdoor tables, but there really wasn't enough room to get my chair close enough in order to transfer over. Plus, they said the happy hour specials were only in the bar (where I couldn't sit due to the high tables). So we gave up, I had a little melt down, and we picked up some food to take back to the room.  That was the first time a place only had happy hour specials in the bar, but the bar wasn't handicap accessible. I can't even begin to describe how many times we've ran into instances where businesses think they're handicap accessible and they aren't. I don't know how it's even legal. I can't tell you how upsetting it is to feel like you aren't equal or can't do something as simple as eat at the same table as everyone else. I know everyone says my situation is just temporary, but what about for those that aren't that fortunate? I feel like maybe another reason I'm experiencing all this is so I can become an advocate...I'm feeling really passionate about bringing awareness to the inequality and ignorance surrounding handicap accommodations. 

I've had a lot of people ask me about my devotional. It's "Jesus Calling" and I love it. The app is just a little bit different than the book because instead of just listing the scripture each day, it has the complete verse...but sometimes it's nice to have to get out a bible and look up each verse. 


No comments:

Post a Comment