Sunday, March 13, 2016

March 12 and 13

 I was so happy that my therapist was not only able to get me extra therapy for Saturday, but she was able to personally work with me! I did an hour on the recumbent stim bike (over 6 miles!), some standing at the parallel bars, and an hour in the pool on the aqua treadmill. It was such a good workout! 

Last time I did that stim bike was Thanksgiving...I remember it being pretty difficult and tiring because it also works your arms, like the elliptical. I would have to stop and give my arms a break periodically. But this time I went the whole hour and my arms were fine! I think (and hope) it was due to a combination of my arms being stronger and my legs helping more, so it wasn't just upper body strength the whole time. 

In the pool, Becky made the comment that she could definitely feel me helping while we walked on the aqua treadmill. She had also told the aid that was helping us that I had trace movement and strength EVERYWHERE...not just glutes or ankles, but everywhere. It's coming along!!!

The drive home seemed so short, especially in comparison to what we're used to. I got home and Dusty was there, ready to take me out for the evening. We haven't had many opportunities to go out, just the two of us, like we used to. We'd been wanting to go to this one Chinese restaurant we used to go to. They changed locations a little less than a year ago (to a building that's actually more handicap accessible), but we still hadn't checked it out. We had an amazing dinner, then went across the street to our favorite bar to watch a couple of the basketball games before heading home. It felt like a normal night at home... Going to the places we used to go and then coming home to watch tv and have popcorn before bed. 

I wanted to go to the pool on Sunday morning, just to see what I could do and to show Dad or Dusty, but we didn't have much time to spare. Laundry needed to be done and clothes repacked and then groceries needed to be bought and meals prepped/packed (my poor Mom didn't get a second of rest). I got ready and even straightened my hair for the first time in months. Mom and I went to my friend, Brittany's, baby shower. I'm glad that although therapy has become like a full time job for not only me, but my whole family, we still have time to do things like this. As always, Brittany's sister, Aubrey, threw a great party and we all had a good time. 

A few prayer requests: 
Mom has dislocated her knee a couple times in the past 24 hours..no pain, but I can tell she's a little unstable. Prayers for strength and that nothing else happens since it's just the two of us this week.

One of mom's coworker's husband had a hemorrhagic stroke Friday. He was in the ICU, then moved to the floor, and is now back in the unit for more bleeding. His wife said everything happening has made her think about me a lot and that she hopes to be as strong as me through all this...I think my strength comes from God and all the prayers I'm constantly receiving, so I pray that she receives those same prayers and feels the Lord next to her, helping them get through this.


There's a lot to be said about that post...
Learning to live above my circumstances is something I deal with on a daily basis. A few months ago, my circumstances consumed me. With a lot of prayer, an endless amount of support, and by learning to live one day at a time, I've been able to rise above it...to some degree at least. I used to just be strong throughout the day...staying busy helped, but I'd still shed some tears at night. I still find myself reflecting to those last few weeks of August or seeing my last patient that Saturday or even that first trip to the ER, thinking I'd be home within the next few hours. It seems like just yesterday, but it also seems like forever ago. As I've learned to not let my circumstances consume me, my perspective has changed...and so has everyone's around me. I think we've all been made more aware of what's really important in this life. One of my most important things the Lord has blessed me with is the ability to face all of this with good cheer. Since day one, I've had people telling me about my smile. When I couldn't talk because my vocal cords were still paralyzed, it's all I had. Kristen and I said last week how the psychologists we'd been made to see kept wanting to force antidepressants on us because everyone thinks something must be wrong for us to be happy during a time like this. But what other choice do we have? Our faith is something we have in common and I don't think being able to find cheer is just a coincidence. Everyone wants to question this joy we've found, but like I've said so many time, there are countless blessings that have been seen throughout this tragedy. No one can take those away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment