Sunday, March 20, 2016

March 21

I was reading Rory Feek's blog yesterday. His words and story telling were so beautiful. He was telling the story about how he asked Joey to marry him. He wrote "And we both cried.  And together we prayed that God might take our broken hearts and our broken pasts and make something truly beautiful of them.

And He has.  A million times over, He has."

It reminded me of one night when Dusty, my parents and I were in the UVA ICU- I was still unable to move my arms or legs and still didn't have a voice. Fortunately, I was able to mouth words and with enough time, someone would be able to understand what I was saying. I asked that we pray together. There was something about that moment that filled my heart with joy. To see three of the people I love the most surrounding me and laying everything down, asking the Lord to give us strength and to make His presence known. It was one of the first nights I actually remember..I don't remember the first several weeks I was sick, but this is one of the first memories I have and it's so vivid. We've always gone to church and been open about our faith, especially Mom and I, but it was new to see Dad and Dusty bowing their heads next to me. I also remember getting a text from Dusty once I was at Magee saying how he'd been praying more those past few months than he's ever prayed before and that although everything sucked and some of our worst nightmares seemed to be coming alive, his faith was stronger. I also got a card from a friend while in the hospital saying I'd taught her a lot, but above all, I had taught her about God. I never knew I could have such an impact. Those are just some of the examples in which He has made something beautiful out of something so broken. I've had so many opportunities to be a living testimony and I have to remind myself of those instances when I'm feeling fed up with my circumstances... Joey Feek wrote about her terminal battle with cancer, saying “All of this was worth it if my story brought one person to Christ.” What made her even happier was that it was her father. I admire her faith. I also feel like some of this is worth it when I have people tell me how it's strengthened their faith and relationship with the Lord. It never fails, just when I'm starting to feel defeated, God shows me that I'm having a positive impact on someone else and lifts my spirits. 


No comments:

Post a Comment