Thursday, February 25, 2016

February 25

What an amazing day! I was so overwhelmed and brought to tears on several occasions (but surprisingly held it together). First of all, the drive to Baltimore was super easy and felt much shorter than that drive to Philadelphia. We got to Kennedy-Krieger and were able to drive right up to the front and get out (there's a free valet service). The building itself was impressive right off the bat. The parking people and security lady were all so friendly and welcoming. 

Two nurses brought me back to an exam room and one took my vitals, then left. The other gathered my previous medical history before she left. Then Dr. Recio and his resident came in to complete their exam. We thought it was a joke when we were told it'd take over two hours, but were surprised at how fast that time went- and the doctor was with us, teaching us the whole time. I really liked the doctor and how knowledgeable and friendly he was...he was funny and also answered all our questions. No, we still aren't positive what caused everything, but many other questions were answered. It'd be nice to know what caused all of it, but honestly, as long as I keep getting better, I really don't care that much. Of all things going on, that's not my biggest concern anymore. However, we did get an email from one of my UVA doctors yesterday morning. She had heard back from San Francisco (where they sent my spinal fluid) and they were still unable to detect a specific bug or cause for the illness. She thinks the sample may have been taken too long after the initial presentation or that everything was a type of autoimmune reaction to an infection, rather than the infection itself. That still doesn't tell us too much, but it's at least more than we knew before.

Dr. Recio assessed me head to toe with this instrument that vibrated and I had to say if I felt it, when the vibration stopped, and if it was normal (compared to how it felt on my face). He then did a head to toe assessment of my reflexes and said they're ALL intact! This is a big deal because when I got to Magee, my lower body had no sensation or reflexes...I didn't even have tricep reflexes. He made the comment that just like how I used to just have the reflexes in my arms and now they're 100% recovered, my legs now have the reflexes...like that's just the next step in recovering. They also did a head to toe assessment of sensation- dull vs sharp. That's where it got a little harder for me to tell the difference.

He used the white board to draw things out as he explained them. He determined that my injury level is T5 ASIA B. T5 is the level on the spinal cord (thoracic), and ASIA B is the classification.. 


He said my injury was originally medullary (brain stem) and would've been classified as ASIA A. He prescribed 3 hours of PT, an hour of OT, and an hour of aquatic therapy every day for two weeks starting in March...it has to wait a little since I'm going to Punta Cana next week and everything has to be approved. Also, we're just starting with two weeks because that's easier to schedule and we'll see how everything goes with therapy and keep reevaluating as we go. 

I loved how confident he was and excited about things I could do...this is an amazing institution with many miracle stories and he's excited about me? That must be a good sign! When there were things I couldn't do, he'd say "not yet," which kept me feeling positive. He had asked me what I hoped to achieve and I said "more core strength, balance, and leg strength." He wants me to use stim on my legs and core while at home and in daily activities to get the muscles stronger. He said we've got our work cut out for us, but those weren't unattainable goals.

There was probably more that happened and I'm forgetting to mention, but we were so overwhelmed! If I remember anything extra, I'll mention it later. 

I spent the evening packing for my trip- something very hard to do now that I need more things and that I can't help as much...I also have no idea where some of my stuff is since I don't remember much from when I got sick and because I wasn't there to pack up and move out of my house the other week. Fortunately, I have new clothes from Mom and Maureen and both my parents were patient enough to go through my things and find everything I wanted to pack. 

I know traveling is going to be different for me in a wheelchair, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm a little stressed about keeping all my stuff organized and needing too much or taking up too much of everyone's time. (I love Dusty, but he's not as organized as Mom, haha). But Dusty keeps saying not to worry about anything- easier said than done because I've always been one to stress about everything! Last night Dusty said "I promise I will make sure everything goes smooth. It's going to be easier than you think." He also said "I know you're worried, but I promise I'm going to take care of you." I told my mom about that this morning and it made her get a little choked up. I'm so thankful everyday to have someone love me as much as he does (but he doesn't like to hear how great he is, so don't try to tell him).

I'm not sure about wifi and if I'll be able to blog, but I will if I get a chance...if not, say a prayer for a relaxing week in paradise!

Here's what was on the wall when I entered the building yesterday: 


I am full of hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment