Tuesday, February 16, 2016

February 16

"Be still and trust my plan. I'm more than you think I am."

Those are lyrics from a song playing on the radio in the shuttle on my way to rehab this morning. It's probably not a coincidence that this was the devotional passage today...


I shouldn't be surprised with how spot on this devotional is, but I'm amazed more and more each day. I know God is using this time to do amazing things, but I can't help but somewhat wish these quiet hours away. I can't help but reflect on the few moments I do remember from when I first got sick, like waking up with the worst headache and still going to clinic to see patients...like Annie telling me multiple times that day to go see a doctor and me refusing because it was "just a migraine." How could everything change so fast? How could I just forget the next month and wake up completely paralyzed? It still brings tears to my eyes.

If some of God's greatest works can happen during sick circumstances, I hope they happen during mine. 

I'm thankful that this week is split between my mom and Dusty. Mom hasn't been to day rehab with me yet, so I had been looking forward to this time together. The last time it was just the two of us was during my first week at Magee (starting October 8). So far, we've had great conversation on the way here, good organization, amazing food, and very happy happy hours, haha. 

This morning, a woman I hadn't even seen working at the Sheraton before stopped to talk to me as if she knew me. She started by saying "are those legs starting to feel better?" I know it's obvious that I'm in a wheelchair, but it just seemed so specific that out of all things to ask, that's what she said. We got to talking and I told her I was in school to be an optometrist and that led into an even longer conversation about all of her eye problems. I actually really enjoyed talking to her about it and explaining a few different things to her. 

Things are really starting to come together for my time in Baltimore at Kennedy- Krieger. Not only is it going to be okay that Dad can be off work and still paid with that new benefit, but we just found out that there's no limit to the number of sessions of therapy I can have. How is that even possible? I've been around Magee and hospitals enough lately to know what a nightmare insurance can be in times like this. Everyone has a story. Somehow I'm blessed enough to have positive news about my insurance instead of the opposite. 

I've been having some weird sensations in my legs and feet the last couple days. Not sure if it's good or if it even means anything, but Mom reminded me that I talked about weird feelings in my arms and hands before they started coming back, so I'm crossing my fingers that changes may be happening in the next couple weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment