Tuesday, February 2, 2016

February 2

I didn't get a chance to create a post yesterday, but there was another perfect devotional passage. My "huge mountains" that loom in front of me are everything that involves a full recovery. Sometimes I'm so focused on that and I lose sight of what God is doing in my life at the moment...like the relationships and people He is placing here at just the right times. Speaking of relationships and people being there at the right times, I have some examples...

The first would be something I didn't even know about until Mom told me last weekend. My nurse in the ICU in Winchester wasn't even supposed to be working and turned out to be a big advocate for me- pushing the doctor to see how agitated I was and not being quiet about the feeling she had that something just wasn't right. Things like this have happened over and over again, but I usually don't realize it until afterwards. This weekend was different. Mom and I went to Magee on Saturday (mostly to waste time while the guys packed up my stuff and moved me out of my house in Philly since the lease was up). Mom went to bring our bags to the car while I went straight to the lobby to wait for her. On my way, I saw Mary, someone who has helped a lot with my case and has helped make sure I had somewhere to stay during day-rehab since I live so far away. I told her how great everything was going and how thankful I was that everything had worked out because this more intensive therapy was just what I needed. I talked with her up until we reached the lobby, where a middle-aged couple was waiting for her. They were there for a tour and Mary asked me if I had anything I wanted to tell them. I felt a little on the spot, but told them how great Magee is, what they've done for me, and that I hadn't met a single unfriendly person the whole time I was there. I continued inside and visited everyone- from nursing to therapists to cafeteria staff to old patients. A little while later, while we were driving out of the parking garage, we saw that same couple walking to their car. I rolled down my window to talk to them. I asked more about why they were there and what they thought about the facility. They seemed really impressed and told me how their 21 year old daughter got Guillian Barre Syndrome on December 24th this year. They also told me how comforting it was to go on the fifth floor and see how excited everyone was to see me and the impression I left with the staff because I reminded them of their daughter. We drove away and it was just so apparent to Mom and I how perfect that timing was. I could have just sealed the deal for them and their daughter..I just wish I'd gotten her name so I could pray for her by name. 


My friend, Maureen, has been with me for the beginning half of this week. Her sons played baseball with my brother and I've known them for a long time. It's been really great to spend time with her and catch up these past few days. We've explored the area around the hotel, gone out to eat, painted our nails, and went to the Comcast building.

Today was an emotional day. Three of my best friends from school stopped by to see me. Like I had said earlier, my classmates are now done with school in Philly and leaving for rotations. My friends came to say "goodbye." I couldn't help but cry almost the whole time they were visiting and then some more when they left...I'm upset because I wish I were done with classes and leaving as well, but I'm more upset about the idea of all of us being so far apart. I hate that the last four months were spent like this instead of really enjoying the last bit of time we all had together here. I'm still sad as I think about it, but I'm starting to handle it better as I realize that these months have also shown me just how wonderful all my friends are (not like I had any doubt!) 

I'm constantly being reminded of how blessed I am to have so many incredibly supportive people in my life. I'm trying to enjoy the time I have with all of these people... It's hard to use the word "enjoy" when I also feel like my world has somewhat fallen apart, but, like in the devotional- I'll keep my mind on the present journey, enjoying His presence and letting Him reveal how absolutely blessed I am to be constantly surrounded by such loving people.

No comments:

Post a Comment