Tuesday, May 31, 2016

June 1

I stumbled upon this story yesterday...

http://espn.go.com/espnw/voices/article/15743440/one-small-step-my-10-year-journey-wheelchair-walking

So many things that she talked about hit home and sound familiar. People try to say I'm an inspiration, but this is inspiring to me. What an amazing testimony. My body slowly shut down just as she mentioned, but thank God, I woke after a month and not ten years. And I thought I had it bad? Luckily, I don't have anyone telling me I can't do things and I do have an abundance of support. 


Kennedy- Krieger is filled with hope. It's their motto and it's something I experience daily at this institute...cervical injuries walking? If that's not a public display of hope then I don't know what is. But I know what she means...the confidence is the hard thing. I have hope and I have determination, but sometimes I feel like people think I'm stronger than I am. I'm working on that confidence though. 

I didn't have any scheduled therapy today, but I still got to KKI early. I had metabolic testing done to determine my resting metabolism and how many calories I use and need during the day. The nutritionist was spot on by recommending 1350 calories because the testing determined I needed 1348 at the absolute least- she was only two calories off! I knew she had to be right because I've lost 6.1lbs in just under two weeks. It's got to be a combination of healthy foods, my hard work in therapy, and that my thyroid levels are finally back to normal.

I, of course, also rode the bike in the upstairs gym and got to catch up with some of the other patients I either don't get a chance to talk to because we're both working hard or because they only come a couple days a week. It's really helpful to talk to people going through something similar. What's also helpful is meeting with Dr. Sobelman, which I also did today. He wanted to talk about "coping" strategies...not just for current situations, but for life. I was intrigued by what that might mean, but also skeptical, thinking it was a bunch of nonsense shrink stuff (for lack of a better term haha). He asked me where emotions come from (how do you answer something like that??) I just said its a reaction to events...I was partially right. It's actually more of a reaction to our THOUGHTS about a specific event. I guess it's common sense...things are what we make of them, right? He drew a diagram with a traffic jam (TJ) as the event...


We usually think that it's as simple as an action and a consequence- from A straight to C, but we skip over B- the belief system and our thoughts about what's going on. Those thoughts are then broken down into a rational or irrational category. If all the thoughts are irrational or unattainable, then we'll never be happy. On the surface, this seems so simple and easy. But I feel like if we cautiously thought about this process on a daily basis, then it could change our attitudes and therefore the outcome of many things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment