Wednesday, May 4, 2016

May 4

Adding to the list of things I took for granted: driving. I know I can still do it, it's just going to take awhile...apparently it's a big long process to get the hand controls or whatever adaptive equipment. But anyways, I wasn't one of those kids that had a countdown for when they could get their learners permit. I didn't even get it while I was still 15, like you're allowed to in the state on VA. It was at least a year later. I was so scared! I knew that as soon as I passed that test at the DMV, my mom would make me drive home and I just wasn't ready for that. Even after I got my license and til this day, I gladly let someone else drive. I hate traffic and I get anxiety when trying to drive in cities or even somewhere I haven't been before. (And my sense of direction is absolutely awful, just ask Dusty!) But driving means freedom and I hadn't thought about that before. It's being able to go anywhere anytime you want. I met a man in therapy that had been doing hand exercises and strengthening because he wants to be able to use the hand controls on his car. He has a brand new Lexus with barely any miles on it sitting in his driveway and can't do anything about it because not only does he not have control of his legs, but he can barely move his hands. I never would've thought that me of all people would be so anxious to get back in the driver's seat. 

When I got to the pool, I was bummed to find out that they were short staffed so I wouldn't be able to do any walking. That actually ended up being a good thing! We did some standing and practiced sit to stands. Dennis then put lighter ankle weights on me- I needed the weight so my legs wouldn't be so buoyant, but light enough so it doesn't provide too much resistance. I sat on a bench in the water and he had me try to kick my foot out. I actually had some knee flexion! He kept moving his hand further away, and I could still kick it. We did it until I completely fatigued and he said I wasn't compensating by using my hips or abs- it was purely leg. He thinks it's just not neurally or muscularly strong enough to produce much noticeable movement on land. But reputation will make it stronger! I'm excited to see if it's any stronger in the pool on Tuesday. 

A friend took us to dinner at the Rusty Scupper in the inner harbor. Not only was it easy to get into with the ramp in front, but when we got there and asked if the bar area was handicap accessible (in order to get the happy hour deals), the hostess had one of the tall tables switched out for a shorter one. She didn't even think twice about it and had it done in just a couple minutes. That never happens. Most places don't think about handicap accessibility and the bars rarely meet that criteria...and it isn't fair that if someone can't be in the bar area that they also miss out on the specials that are only offered in that section. We made sure to tell the manager how impressed we were with the hostess and the accommodations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment