Monday, November 30, 2015

November 26-29

 It was so great to have my family here for 5 whole days! It was even better to have improvements during that time!

There aren't too many common areas for multiple people to gather, so we were really fortunate with how nice the weather was. I can't believe it has been this nice in November! We had picnics outside and played more card games (and got to be as loud as we wanted, haha).

On Thursday, we were able to see some of the Philadelphia Thanksgiving parade from my favorite window in the lounge. We also just hung out, enjoying not having anything that needed to be done. Mom pulled off an amazing Thanksgiving meal. James and I don't really care for the traditional food, so mom borrowed a roaster and cooked a beef tenderloin. We also has potatoes, squash, green beans, and homemade pumpkin pie with gluten free crust that my aunt and grandma made! Magee allowed you to reserve rooms for your meal- whether you were bringing food or eating their food from the cafeteria. They have a huge area that they blocked off and made into several separate rooms. I had originally told them that it would only be 6 of us, so we were nice and close with 10 of us at the table.

On Friday, I had double PT, so my family got to see a lot of therapy. Instead of doing the stim bike this week, I tried a new machine that works the legs similarly to the bike, but also has arms, like an elliptical. There were extra electrodes that allowed my abs and back to receive stim. We also worked on transfers to and from the bed. Dad, James, and Steph all got to do it and did really well...and it'll only get easier as I get stronger. Steph and Natalie are still telling me how much better they get each week, so I'm hoping it'll be a piece of cake by the time I get home (and that I won't need to do any transfers after a little bit longer).

My aunts, uncle, and grandma headed home and I spent the rest of the weekend with my parents and James. We played more games and watched a great Redskins win on Sunday!! I also had double therapy on Sunday. I got in tall kneel again, with the bolster in front of me. Instead of 4 people, it only took 2! I worked with Rachel since Steph wasn't there over the weekend and she had me to little squats like I had done the last time we got into this position. She told me to really focus on my glutes and abs and pulling my hips forward and said that my glutes were definitely activating! We also got on all fours and I used my abs to pull my stomach in, instead of letting it drop. I was able to get from laying down on my back to sitting up completely alone, and since Rachel was so impressed, she made me do it both from moving to the right and then moving to the left (since I can't sit straight up with my lack of ab muscles, I kind of have to lean to the side and walk my way up on my hands).

Natalie felt some activation in my ankles over the weekend...so that made for a lot of improvements over the long weekend! Ankles, glutes, lower abs, and toe/foot reflexes are all starting to become apparent! I just pray that I'm patient enough...I know everything is there and trying to come back, they're just such big muscles that it's going to take awhile.




No comments:

Post a Comment