Saturday, November 14, 2015

November 11 and 12

On Wednesday, I started the day by working on transfers with Steph. They tried to use stim on my lower back to see if it would help with the strength of my transfers. After a couple times with the stim, they tried it without it and decided that I really didn't even need it. I think all it took was me focusing on pushing through my shoulders instead of just trying to use my triceps each time.

We had another group type therapy (like the standing one last week) called a sitting group. It was supposed to work on balance and sitting in a group setting. I was proud to hear the therapists talking about how good my balance was and that I didn't need assistance at the edge of the mat. Of course, Natalie wanted to make it more challenging and had me bring my legs out in front of me, transferring to long sit by myself (and I did it!). We then played a game and had some laughs in the group, making the whole therapy session go by faster. Natalie, Tracy and I left a little bit early to go back to my room and use some of my optometry equipment. It wasn't much, but I got to use my direct ophthalmoscope and transilluminator on them in order to check pupils, eye muscle movement, optic nerve and macula (the center of vision).

That night, Dusty and I got to stay in the family room. There's a room on my floor that is set up like a regular bedroom. There's a tv on the wall, a queen sized bed, and a large bathroom. People are allowed to use the room at night, especially if they're with someone that is going to be a part of the caretaking when the patient gets back home. I was impressed with Dusty's initiative to call my case manager and set this up (but then again, I don't think any of us are that surprised at how amazing he's been through all this). He helped get me ready for bed and did all the weight shifts throughout the night (every two hours, you have to move a pillow from one hip to the other to prevent skin breakdown or bed sores). He then helped me get ready the next morning. I've heard all the nurses tell me about what a good job he did and how lucky I am to have someone that wants to be so involved and how obvious his love for me is.

On Wednesday, I got myself from sitting at the edge of the mat to long sit again by moving my own legs (one inch at a time, which is so frustrating). I got myself to laying down and then back up and sitting at the edge again. It sounds so simple, but it took awhile and completely wiped me out.

In OT, we spent a lot of time trying to set up another electrical chair. I've been happy in the manual chair, but Natalie said we needed to think about what we may order in case I need a chair when I leave. I guess what many people do is order both an electrical chair and a manual (if they can use a manual). It takes the company 3 months to build a personalized chair, so if it isn't needed after those 3 months, you just cancel the order (which I'm praying is what'll happen for me!) But I'm trying this electrical chair in the evenings (when I'm exhausted from using the manual one all day) because it'll be more like the one we'd order, even if the order will hopefully just be cancelled in the long run. Another accomplishment of the day was getting to 47lbs on the rickshaw! (Remember, I did 15lbs with help less than 2 weeks ago?!) Oh, and my friend Kaitlyn from school showed up with Dunkin coffee, which was the perfect afternoon treat!


No comments:

Post a Comment