Wednesday, November 18, 2015

November 16

I used to have the nurses bring my breakfast to me in my room each morning. At first, it was because I absolutely hated how much I struggled to feed myself and how long it took (I'd rather deal with that in the privacy of my own room instead of in the lounge with several other patients). As time went on and I gradually built up strength, I was finally able to feed myself. Like that post a few weeks ago, one day I went into breakfast and one of the workers had to feed me, Then when she asked me if I needed assistance a few days later, I was able to proudly tell her no. I now get excited to make it to the breakfast room each morning. Saying hi to the other patients and seeing if anything is new in their journeys is such a great day to begin the day.

I had OT with Natalie after breakfast. I did all my weighted arm exercises and even upped the weight on a couple machines! We then retested all the previously recorded measurements of grip, pinch, and fine motor skills. Of course, there was more improvement, but I didn't expect it to be as much as it was!

On 10/10, my grip and pinch was 0 in both hands
On 10/23, my grip was 2.3kg in the left and 5.3kg in the right; my pinch was 1.2lbs in the left and 4lbs in the right
On 11/2, my grip was 10kg in the left and 13kg in the right; my pinch was 4lbs in the left and 4lbs in the right
Today, my grip was 14.6kg in the left and 18.6kg in the right; my pinch was 4.67lbs in the left and 7.1lbs in the right

I did the treadmill again today. Not much changed as far as performance goes...we always do the same amount of time, and I was still able to get to where the harness held 10% and I held the rest...but when we focused on posture, 15% was a little bit better. They mentioned maybe trying me on a different machine instead of this specific treadmill from now on. Since I have been doing this every week and I have really flexible joints, they start to worry about hyperextending my joints or something...there's another machine that is like the treadmill, but is robotic. You can program very specific settings and angles in which you want  each joint moved. I haven't seen the machine before, so I'm not 100% sure how it works, but it sounds like it would just be a lot more gentle and precise in the movements it makes...the only problem is that it takes about 10 minutes to set up, and I haven't been able to stand for this long being completely still and not feeling like I'm going to pass out. I guess this will have to be something to work up to.

My friend, Christy Jaye, spent the afternoon and evening with me today. Faith centered heart-to-heart conversations and prayers with her were much needed. She had written me a card a couple weeks ago with some of the best words of advice:

 -Cling to the Lord
-When you feel hopeless, let someone know who will encourage you, pray and help you find your laugh again
-Be patient
-Remember God has a plan for your life
-Know that what you're going through is about what He's doing in other people's lives as well
-Let other people help you (it blesses them)
-Reach out whenever you can
-Ask for prayer
-Escape when you need to (Good movie or book)
-Recognize this is a big deal, grieve, cry, then wipe your tears and get u and fight again. Don't minimize it.
-Never, Never, Never, Never quit
-Remember how many people love you and are praying for you


Her advice and words of wisdom today we just as helpful. I'm so blessed to have people like her and everyone else that has been here each week. I'm still amazed at how willing my friends and family from home are to drive all the way here and how my friends from school find the time between class and clinic to come into the city to see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment