Tuesday, November 3, 2015

November 2

Today, the first thing my nurse did was take off the trach bandage! It's all closed and looks like a belly button to me, haha. The next thing I have my eyes set on is getting this feeding tube out! I asked my doctor and he said I had to talk to my dietician...so I asked her when I saw her in the cafeteria at lunch. She didn't realize it had already been 7 weeks since it was put in (they like at least 6 weeks and I'm past that!) Then the nurse told me later that she heard I was getting it out...so I guess I just have to wait for someone to show up and take it out. I can't wait though....then only the catheter will be left and hopefully I'll see the urologist soon. (I had the vent, oxygen, trach, and picc line all removed already).

My friend, Amy, came from home to visit for the day. I went to church with her family and youth group with her children. It was so great to have her here for the whole day and to catch up. She got me a chalk board with a wooden stand to write my weekly goals on and the book "Glory Days" by Max Lucado. He's a talented Christian author and I look forward to reading the book at the same time as her and discussing it.

In PT, Steph and I worked on transfers and edge of the mat balance. She wrapped a sheet around my back and pulled it to help with trying to keep a better posture. In OT, Natalie reassessed different tests.

On 10/10/15, my grip strength was 0 in L and R. My pinch strength was also 0 in L and R.
On 10/23/15, my grip strength was 2.3lbs in L and 5.3lbs R. My pinch was 1.2lbs in L and 4lbs R.
Today (11/2), my grip strength was 10lbs in L and 13lbs R. My pinch was 4lbs in L and 6lbs R.

So...there was a lot of improvement in a little over a week!!! My fine motor skill test results also improved...we didn't record an actual number the first time, just that they were much lower than the norm.

In rec therapy, I told Tracy that my goals this week were to put my hair in a ponytail and to work on my handwriting. Her and Natalie said my handwriting was perfect and didn't need work (but if you've seen my notes, you'd know that I'm a perfectionist and my current writing doesn't meet my standards, haha). I also put my hair in a ponytail! It wasn't that pretty, though, so my next goal is to make a neat ponytail. My therapists said they have had such a hard time making goals for me because I always achieve them later that day and this was just an example of that happening.

I started a new painting in art therapy, so stay tuned for a picture next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment