Thursday, December 10, 2015

December 9

God is doing some amazing things! I shouldn't be surprised when it happens, but I'm still amazed at all the good God brings into the darkest situations. Like, my parents refinanced our house the day I was intubated...someone came to the hospital and they signed the papers on that day and then didn't have a mortgage payment. Talk about perfect timing.

So, yesterday, I was saying how overwhelming it is to not really know what the next step is going to be as far as recovery and rehab. I was even praying, telling God my "deepest desires" like my devotional had said. I just wanted a sign as to which rehab facility to look at, if I should stay in Philly or find a place near home, etc. Mom was researching stim bikes and if it was possible to rent, lease, or buy one since I've had such a good response to the one here at Magee. While looking into this, she came across a rehab place in Baltimore (which would only be about an hour and a half drive from home instead of 3, like Philly). The place is called Kennedy-Krieger and they have all the equipment I've been using- like the stim bikes, treadmill, elliptical/glider, plus even more. (They even have an aquatic treadmill...I have no idea what that is, but it sounds pretty great, haha). So, Mom called me last night and told me about this place an how she sent them an email asking for more information. She called me this afternoon and said that a nurse from the facility had contacted her and seemed really excited about me and the progress I've made so far. They think that they'd be able to do a lot for me and have worked with several cases similar to mine with a lot of success. They have a "bootcamp" program that is two weeks long, 7 days a week, 5 hours a day of really intense therapy or a different program that is 8-12 weeks long, 3 days a week. Both appealed to us and we're looking into getting more information. But everything we had been wondering seemed to be answered...they have housing if needed and they accept our insurance, which coincidentally changes January 1 (perfect timing!)

I was already feeling really great and mom and I were finally feeling more at ease about things. I got off the phone and got a text from my college roommate, Stephanie, not even 5 minutes later. She was just checking in and seeing how I was doing. I told her that I was good, just trying to figure out what the next step was and that we may have found a place to look at in Baltimore. She then told me how she was at an expo for adaptive equipment last week (since she's in OT school) and that she was talking to someone from Baltimore and got their business card after talking to them about me. Guess what? They were from Kennedy-Krieger! And there was my sign.. I don't know if all of it is going to work, but the timing of everything just sent chills down my back. We have to look into it a little more, but this would be great- it's closer to home, they have experience in treating my condition, there's housing if needed, they accept our insurance, it's crazy!

Yesterday was also a good day because I had Jenessa and Molly here in the afternoon and we spent the afternoon OT session decorating the gym for Christmas! I was in charge of putting together the fake 6 foot tree, which took forever. It was so much fun decorating and laughing. It's actually starting to feel like Christmas!

As if the day wasn't good enough, it just got better. Greg, from next door, came and asked if I was coming down to dinner again. I went downstairs to dinner and got to share my story about how amazing God was and everyone was really happy for me. It's the perfect story to share God's perfect timing. After dinner, Greg asked me to go to bingo. I love bingo and they have it here every Wednesday evening, but I haven't made it to any of the sessions yet. I felt like I should go with him since he's leaving Saturday...and I really didn't have an excuse not to. There were patients there from other floor and even though I wasn't very lucky, I was having a lot of fun. I was nowhere close to bingo the whole time, but I was laughing and we were listening to music- having such a good time. And then I won the last THREE games! I got a few boxes of Christmas cards and a framed wall decoration that says something like "Love endures forever."

Just as I was leaving bingo, Jay Kennedy, the pastor from the church I was going to here texted me. It's been awhile, but he had came to visit before. My roommates had written a prayer request in the church communication card and gotten in touch with him. Anyways, he texted me saying that he was at Magee and wanted to surprise me, but I wasn't in my room. I hurried back and couldn't wait to tell him how great things had been going, especially that day. We had a really great talk and he told me how much my journey was going to (if not already) impact so many people. Right before he left, Annie and Nick arrived. The four of us prayed together and then Annie and Nick stayed for awhile longer.

My devotional today read: "Let Me lead you step by step through this day. If your primary focus is on Me, you can walk along perilous paths without being afraid. Eventually, you will learn to relax and enjoy the adventure of our journey together. As long as you stay close to Me, My sovereign Presence protects you wherever you go."

"Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you." Psalm 9:10

God definitely led me through this whole day and really gave me a sense of peace. This is exactly what I was praying about yesterday! Ah, God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment