Friday, December 18, 2015

December 15 and 16

This week is going by so fast and it has been so great! Tuesday morning started with someone bringing me my yellow ribbon for my wheelchair...whenever someone is getting ready to go home, they put a yellow ribbon on their chair so that everyone knows it. So many people have been coming up to me and asking when I'm leaving or taking the time to wish me luck and say goodbye. The morning also started with getting the indwelling catheter removed. I haven't mentioned it in awhile, but one of the complications with spinal cord injuries is bladder dysfunction. Actually, one of the first things I had problems with was urinary retention (which unfortunately may mean it'll be one of the last things I get back). Anyways, I got the catheter removed and have been self cathing without any problems.

Dusty and I practiced transfers from every surface imaginable- a couch, a recliner, a bed, and his car. It's difficult going from a hard to soft surface or vice versa and also from different heights, but he's really strong and everyone was impressed with how well we did on everything.

I live in a split foyer, so there may be some trouble getting in and out of the house. We will probably just bump up the stairs to get inside, but this requires two people. Dusty was worried about being able to get out of the house just the two of us and asked the therapists to teach him how to do this. He just kept saying that I'd been in the hospital for four months and about all the places and things he wanted us to do. It was sweet how concerned he was and how much he wanted to learn and help with everything. I really shouldn't be surprised because he's been like this the whole time I've been sick, but just the way he's taken initiative and asked all the right questions and really taken control in order to take care of me is amazing. Everyone around here knows who I am, but they also know him. I'm constantly being told how amazing he is and I just feel so lucky to have someone so caring by my side through all this.

Two things I've been terrified of for the past month were wheelies and floor transfers. I'd seen a bunch of guys practice these in the gym and I've been dreading them ever since. It makes sense to practice how you'd get up off the floor if I ever fell or needed help up, but I jokingly just told my therapists that I'd just cry if that ever happened to me. (I really would cry though...I've been tearing up every time anyone even mentions floor transfers!) The floor transfer actually went really well and I had fun doing the wheelies. That doesn't mean I ever want to end up on the floor...and I'm not looking forward to ever having to do a wheelie in order to get over curbs by myself, but I am relieved that neither of them were nearly as bad as I'd thought they'd be.

Dusty and I visited Magee's outpatient rehab, the Riverfront, on Wednesday. They offer something called day rehab that is Monday-Friday, 9:00-3:00. We rode the shuttle there and it was the first time I've been in a vehicle since the 5 hour ambulance ride from UVA to Philadelphia...and that was absolutely miserable on a stretcher. I forgot how much I enjoyed car rides. We were really impressed with the set up of the place and everyone was really friendly. They also have a lot of really nice equipment, including the treadmill I've been using and stim bikes.

Stephanie, my friend from home, came Wednesday night. She got here just in time to see us try out the standing frame again. Dusty hadn't seen it before and wanted to know how to help stand me up in it. He also decided that he was going to go home and build one...he even asked if I'd like it to be pink, haha. It was easier to say goodbye to Dusty since I knew the next time I'd see him was less than a week away and would be at HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment