Friday, December 11, 2015

December 10

My brother, his girlfriend (Jessica), and his girlfriend's sister (Emily) all came to visit today. I haven't seen Jessica since I got sick because she left for Spain to study abroad right before everything happened. Jessica was so sweet and brought me several presents back from her trip-- Belgian chocolate, the most adorable elephant figurine from Spain, a corkscrew magnet, and a coffee mug filled with hot cocoa mix.

It was such a great day. I started the morning with the stim bike and that went pretty well. It's one of my favorite things I do in therapy, so I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be able to get a hold of one for the house or at least have access to one when I go home.

We made ornaments for the Christmas tree in the gym during OT and did some more work with transfers. The rest of the day was spent exploring Magee and me beating everyone in Phase 10, haha. Mom sent the best lunch-- leftover steak and shrimp and then treated us to Thai food for dinner. Thank goodness I don't have to deal with all those diet restrictions like in the beginning of my rehab when I still had the trach and everything.

My aunt and grandma sent gluten free sugar cookies, icing, and sprinkles so that we could spend some time decorating cookies. We didn't make too many pretty cookies, but we put them all on a tray and James pushed me around the cafeteria and around the 5th floor so I could ask everyone if they wanted one. I loved seeing everyone get excited about which cookie they were going to pick out...it was like spreading a little holiday cheer :)



My world definitely feels unsteady and the troubles have 100% made me more dependent on God and  aware of His presence. It's a strange thought to consider it joyful when you face trouble, but when the end result is a closer relationship with the One who created us, who could be that upset? Of course anyone would yearn for a problem-free life, but I don't think I'd be as aware of God's presence, constantly remembering to thank Him for all I have. It's easier to reach out and ask for help. I don't think God necessarily causes us to face hardships, but rather, He uses those situations as an opportunity to reveal His goodness and create something positive. This has happened repetitively throughout this whole journey and it's hard to be down when I look back and think about how much good has occurred over the past three months.






No comments:

Post a Comment