Friday, August 26, 2016

August 26

It's been another busy week home. I finally figured out what's going on with my classes...funny story, actually. I messaged my professor Tuesday and asked her if I was supposed to be completing any assignments or listening to lectures and she replied with "classes just started yesterday, silly." Haha, but they know me and I've been checking online just about every hour! I was under the impression that all the lectures were already recorded and I'd work at my own pace, but I actually have to wait until they happen. They sent me the schedules and I'm enrolled in two classes- one with the honors students, and one with the traditional program. The first lectures for those classes aren't even until next Thursday and Friday. 

So...I'm spending my time figuring out my therapy/exercise schedule. And it's going so well! First of all, I met with a trainer at the gym who showed me how to use and set up some equipment. I've always gone to the gym and I know what I'm doing, but I wanted to make sure I could set things up on my own and I wanted to know I was targeting all the major muscles groups. (I need to make sure I have a lot of progress to show the therapists when I return in January!)

The gym staff have been so incredible and friendly. They already know me by name (and this place is hugeee). One guy already asked if I'd be interested in an adaptive piece of equipment that would allow me to use the rowing machine. Plus, they're looking into getting an adjustable exercise mat, like I've used in therapy, and they're trying to get another arm bike so I can possibly participate in spin classes! 

The pool is pretty packed with classes, but I've found some time to make it in between what is scheduled. I can stand at the edge of the pool on my own and it's already better than it was Monday. I can't do it for long because my legs fatigue, but I'm able to pull my hips in and keep my knees straight. 

My swimming isn't great, but at least it looks like swimming now. I'm looking into taking a couple swimming lessons just because I think it'd be helpful to get some tips from someone of how to get the most out of it. 

A friend from Bridgewater messaged me this week because she's in PT school at Shenandoah, right in town. They have a course on neurophysiology or something and like to work with local patients. She reached out to me to see if I was interested, which basically means free PT and benefits of that sort every Monday in October and November. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store and being able to reconnect with this friend. 

Lastly, my art therapist from Magee, Julie, emailed me to tell me that the committee selected a piece of my art to be featured on their holiday cards! I was only one of four selected! She's going to get me the information on how to order the cards because I'm sure some family and friends will want copies. See, maybe I am an artist after all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment