Wednesday, August 10, 2016

August 11

Vicki is out of town this week, so my personal training was with Katie...and she killed me! It was a different kind of exhaustion than when I workout with Vicki and I really don't know which is worse, haha (but in a good way). It's so hard, but I actually like pushing myself until I physically can't do something anymore. And that's exactly what happened this morning. My shoulders, biceps, triceps and chest were on fire! Up beat music and encouragement from Katie helped, but I barely completed each  circuit. 

My appointment with Dr. Recio went really well. He called me his "star patient" and I'm not really sure if he says that to everyone, but it still made me feel good. He was happy with the progress I've made in my time at KKI and thinks I'll just continue to improve. (I just hate how long recovery takes!!) 

For once, my temperature was actually normal! It's been 97.4 (lower than normal) since I got sick, which apparently is normal for SCIs, but it being back to 98.4 is a good sign of healing. And I think the best news he gave me was that the sweating wasn't going to last forever. It's 100x better than it once was, but I still randomly sweat out of nowhere. And the strangest thing is that it's mostly tactile for my legs...a blanket over then results in sweat dripping off them and if my leg touches something like the door when I'm in the car, then that small section of my leg will sweat. I'm glad I'm not having to change my shirt three times a day anymore, but I still hate feeling gross like that. It makes me worry about what it'll be like when the weather gets colder and I have to bundle up with blanket or sweatshirts...my head will think I'm freezing cold but my body will think it's hot. The sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems are so hard to understand! 

He discussed how he wants me to return in January for about 8 weeks and then mentioned how he wants me to try a different medication when I return that is approved for MS patients and "helps with walking." I'm not really sure what that's all about, but I plan to do some research..

Then I had a final ASIA assessment. I've explained it before, but  here's the scale: 


When I started at KKI, I was an ASIA B. I'm now ASIA C! And honestly, it's really not too far from a D. I was hoping there would have been a bigger change and was a little disappointed, but then I learned that not even 20 years ago, people thought that an individual's ASIA level never changed. Like, that's what Mom was taught in nursing school. So that made me happier; I guess it's a bigger deal than I thought. Also, part of the testing is sensory: can you tell if something is touching you in general, the difference between sharp and dull, and light touch. I was impressed with how much better it went than just two weeks ago when I saw Dr. Pardo. I really think things are changing more rapidly that ever before (using the term "rapidly" loosely...not according to my standards, but I'll give in and agree with the doctors and therapists). 

My last day of therapy brought more good news and achievements. First of all, Kim and I walked for 53 minutes straight!! A new record! And for once, my left leg was pulling forward when I stepped. It's usually my left leg that is good at straightening and providing support while I step with the other leg. The right one is usually good at swinging forward. So that's another big change! 

I rode the twelve channel bike before my afternoon therapy and then we did over ground walking. It was a good way to end therapy, but I was absolutely exhausted by the time we did my final evaluation and discharge measures. I hate doing poorly on "exams," so I was really frustrated that Dennis scheduled my evaluation after everything else we did. I tried to just tell myself that meant I'd definitely do better when I come back in January. The one thing that actually did change for the better was some ankle activation that hadn't been noted before. I hope that develops more (and the stim bike should help with that since it has lower leg stim!) because when we walk, I drag my toes,which holds me back some. Having ankle control would help me pick my toes up and result in better steps. 

I'm making a list of goals and things I hope to accomplish by the time I return. I want to be stronger and more fit, not to mention being able to do so much more on my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment