Friday, July 1, 2016

July 1

I told Dusty that it's my birthday month..you know, the most wonderful time of the year. Just kidding. But really, how is it already half way through 2016? It's something that surprises me every time I hear or see the date. I think I'll be happy when 2016 is over though. Although not as glad as I was to put 2015 behind me! 2017 sounds a little better, doesn't it?

Dusty and I were supposed to spend the holiday weekend with Sam and Brandon this weekend in Annapolis. The city was so adorable when we went for the fundraiser in May and I know how much Dusty is going to enjoy getting to know Sam and Brandon. (I knew he'd like them, but the bonus is that they're Redskins fans, haha). Our plans were a little up in the air though because Brandon is a pharmaceutical rep and he's at a conference in Philly, where his boss wants him to stay through Sunday. It sucks that we aren't going to be able to see them, but I know we'll plan another weekend. And Dusty and I will just have to find something local to do this weekend. 

So, a couple updates. 

I've been getting myself into the car completely on my own, but today I discovered that I can also get myself out of the car! It's a big deal in itself, but let me explain why I'm so happy about this. Remember when I said James got in those accidents in my car? Well the insurance rep came the other day and declared it totaled. Basically, the cost to fix it is more than what the car is worth. This sucks because while it was my first car, it was running fine and really didn't have many miles on it. But like all things, I'm trying to find the silver lining. Maybe this means a fresh start? I now I've said it- when it rains, it pours, but maybe this means I'll be able to start over and find a car that I can easily get modified? One I have an easy time getting in and out of on my own and one that can easily transport my wheelchair. Even when I start walking again, I may still need hand controls because my reaction time might be delayed or that planar flexion motion of my ankle may not be completely normal for awhile. But if I'm getting back to school and becoming more independent, figuring out stuff about driving would be huge for me. 

On that note of independence, I've been doing as much as possible on my own. Mom even gives Dad a hard time and tells him to back off when he rushes to help me do something. If I need help, I'll ask. But I'm not going to know how much I can do on my own if I don't try. And as I get stronger and my injury level changes, so do my abilities. That's why I might try to schedule a few OT appointments. I might be able to do more things than I could back in March when I met with Jen. I'm also trying to prove to everyone I'm fine to be alone because Mom and Dad are going to the lake with Sally and Brian in a couple weeks. They want to treat them to a vacation. I'll be at the beach with Dusty's family for the beginning of the week, but not the whole time since Dusty isn't taking the whole week off. So, I'll be home alone (well not alone because grandma will be there with me), but taking care of myself for 2-3 days while they're still at the lake and while Dusty is at work during the day. 

Other updates....lots of fundraiser events in the making. 

The paintnite is next week and tickets sold out fast! So fast that we're going to have to look into doing another one. Maureen has set up some kind of silent auction and raffle thing to take place that night, so hopefully it'll be a big hit.

Thanks to our friend, Amber, we are doing a Tupperware event. It's awesome. They have a separate catalog for fundraising, so it's not all items, but they donate 40% of money made! There are some really great things available. Feel free to share the link! 



My next door neighbor sells premier jewelry and has offered to do a fundraising event, but needs four hostesses. It was be just online/Facebook parties, so if anyone is interested, please let me know!

Dustys friends/family are still working out details for a run/walk event, but I'm really excited about it. We talked about having tshirts made and maybe even having the company get a stim bike out there so I can ride it some during the event...or maybe people can take turns pushing me in my wheelchair? I'm not sure, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun. 

Also, our church has been so wonderful. They've given us constant reminders of how much they're thinking and praying for us. And they've sent us money for our gas since we're still on the road between Winchester and Baltimore. They also paid for a week of our housing. We're so thankful to have such a loving and supportive church family. Then again, we're blessed by everyone in our lives showing such support and really helping us out in these hard times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment