Saturday, January 9, 2016

January 9

My first week (well, half week) of day-hab was so great. I love everything about it- my therapists, the nurses, the staff, the patients I'm with, the equipment, how busy I am, the hotel I'm staying at, the shuttle and the driver (Herb) that takes me to and from rehab, and the fact that I get to come home every weekend. Dusty got to spend the first half week with me and when he had to leave on Friday to get to work, James showed up to drive me home. I'm looking forward to this week and spending it with Steph. I was so blessed to spend almost 3 months at inpatient and have visitors every single day except one and I'm just as blessed to have people taking days off work or vacation time to take me to Philly. As long as we can stay in the hotel and I have people to come stay with me, I'll continue with day-hab. I'm approved for 3-4 weeks as of now, but I'd love to continue therapy up until I leave for Punta Cana with Dusty's family at the end of February. I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but Dusty's grandfather bought my ticket while I was sick saying he'd be so upset if I could go and didn't have a ticket...they even made sure it was wheelchair accessible. It's been my goal to get into the best shape possible before I leave for that trip. Kennedy-Krieger in Baltimore is still an option for more therapy when I get back. 

I did stim bike twice this week, got on all fours, did the glider, and some transfer work. I can actually see the changes in the tone of my legs. We noticed a lot of change at the pool today...dad moved my legs like I was riding a bike and then stopped helping and I was able to continue the motion for 3-4 minutes! Me trying to kick my legs behind me looked more like kicking and not just hip twisting. And lastly- we went to hospice and bought a walker to bring into the water. I sat on the bench inside the pool and used the walker to stand up on my own!!! I didn't even need help getting up or tucking my hips in. I'm hoping that as I get stronger and regain more movement I'll be able to use the walker to walk in the water since it'll be easier in water to begin with. 

Two more positives this week:
1. My PT, Kelly, was impressed with how straight my posture was in the glider and said no one ever looks that straight, especially their first time doing it with her.
2. I met up with some of my old therapists and one of the PTs looked at me and said "I've been doing this 11 years and I know 100% that you'll walk again. I have no doubt and you know I wouldn't just say that."

They may not have known it, but I needed to hear those things so badly. 



This was a great reminder of how everything is in God's hands and that I just need to be patient...I get frustrated at times and hate how long simple tasks take, but I'm constantly reminded that nothing is impossible with God. I wear a bracelet with Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." When I'm tired or upset, I look at that and know that I can make it..I do an extra rep in the gym or try the task in struggling with one more time. I'll never give up, but I'm thankful for these constant reminders that it's all in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment