Tuesday, January 26, 2016

January 26

When Dad and I got to the hotel last night, many of the staff members welcomed me back, haha. Guess I'm considered a regular at the Sheraton now. Being a frequent guest apparently comes with a fridge in the hotel room, a free wifi password and a sweet woman with your coffee already poured when you get to the lobby in the morning.

I wasn't here yesterday because of the snow and I kept hearing from everyone how much they had missed me...I'm glad I was out of the funk I was in yesterday because it's evident that my positivity and smile everyone is always commenting on makes a difference in those that surround me...at least that's what Dusty, Steph, and Mom keep telling me. 

My OT, Cate, asked me if I had increased tone and spasticity in my legs. I was surprised she asked that and was wondering how she knew. (My legs are looking more and more normal and they've been jumping like crazy from spasms recently.) I told her yes and asked her why. She said she just felt like they looked different and assured me that was a good thing.

Therapies went well today- more quadraped, talk kneel, and standing frame. I played ping pong (which I'm awful at, but surprisingly wasn't as terrible as I remember). And for OT, I made my jalapeño peppers, stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon. They were a huge hit! So much so that everyone has requested I make them again Friday for a reunion party they're having. The funny part of that story is that I took them out of the oven, left to go do something, then came back and half the tray was already gone. I then went into the day room because we had a nutritionist visiting- and there I was, the girl feeding everyone bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers, haha. 

Dad and I explored the Comcast building when we got back this afternoon and then sat at my favorite coffee shop for a little while. I can't really push myself down the street because of all the snow and uneven sidewalks, so Dad has been helping push me a lot. We were struggling figuring out how to get to the other side of the road, since the curb cuts were either completely blocked by snow or hidden by a giant puddle, when two men offered to help us and literally picked me up in my chair and lifted me over the snow covered curb. Those weren't the first nice strangers we encountered on our outing either, people were rushing to hold doors open for us and ask if they could help us with anything. 

When we got back to the hotel, Dad went to heat my coffee back up (something everyone does for me multiple times a day because I love having a warm cup in my hands even more than I love drinking the warm drink). Greg, the bellhop that was so eager to help us to our room last night, rushed over to ask if I needed anything while Dad was around the corner at the microwave. We started talking and he asked what I was doing at Magee. I told him I was attending outpatient rehab Monday-Friday through February 19 and that before that I had been a patient across the street for almost three months. When I told him that I'd gotten sick at the end of August, put on life support a week later, paralyzed from the neck down and flown to UVA all prior to arriving to Philadelphia, his jaw dropped and eyes widened as he said "that was THIS year? As in a couple months ago?" He went on to tell me how strong I am and that I must really be a fighter. He said a few more encouraging words and I was left thinking about the timing of everything once again. Whenever I start to get discouraged about how slow I think my progress is, God does something to show me that it's only slow in my eyes. I need this constant reminder of how much time an injury like this takes to recover from and God never fails to give me a sign when I need it most. 





No comments:

Post a Comment