Thursday, January 28, 2016

January 28

Today was one of the most exhausting days I've had in awhile. Dusty and I got a later start this morning, so we felt rushed from the beginning. Fortunately, we made the shuttle on time (I'd like to think Herb wouldn't leave me, but I don't want to find out!) 

I've had extreme tightness/soreness in my neck and shoulders these past few days, making me more uncomfortable than usual. The good news is that when I'm sore or when things are more difficult, I'm even more determined. 

My PT session went really well this morning. I worked with a therapist I hadn't met before, which was good because she could give me fresh insight on my weaknesses and how I could improve my transfers and such. We did a lot of transfer work (mostly me doing them almost independently), balancing stuff, etc. I also did a lot of reaching and arm conditioning activities today. I didn't have the treadmill or stim bike and it doesn't sound as tiring, but I could barely move by the end of all of it. For the first time since I can remember, I took a little nap when I got back to the hotel (granted, it was only 20 minutes, but it was refreshing.) 

Dusty and I are going to spend the rest of the evening in because he has some school work to do. I'm looking forward to watching the cooking network and reading a book they gave us at church a couple weeks ago called "40 days of decrease." I'll let you know more what it's about once I start it.


I love this devotional...with the daily reminders of something as simple as reading "I am with you always." It was a hard day, but I started it by seeing those words. It's true, it's easy to accept that God is with us, but to live like it and carry that knowledge with you throughout the day may be difficult as we get swept up in the chaos. I like that- "the fact that I am with you makes every moment of your life meaningful." That puts even more emphasis on the phrase "living life to the fullest." I find that the more I trust and center my life around the promise that God is always with me results in the blessings it talks about, I just wish I could do it every day...trusting, especially when things aren't going according to your plan, is easier said than done. I kept working hard today because I knew/was reminded that God was with me and that I could handle it. I may not think that I can do everything my therapists throw my way...I actually find myself saying "I'm not sure..." When they ask me if I can do different things like raise both arms above my head while keeping balance or lean all the way over (conquering my fear of falling forward) to reach my toes. I try really hard not to say the words "I can't" and to always push my limits- like if they said to do 10 reps, I'll do 11. Or if they say to do some arm exercises without weights (like they did today) I'll add a little weight just to see if I can handle it. I wear a silver bracelet that has Philippians 4:13 written on it because I know I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, especially given all He's helped me get through recently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment