Tuesday, October 4, 2016

October 4

Every day, I'm amazed by the outpouring of love and support I encounter. Over 75 people are signed up for the run and the amount of money in sponsorships makes me feel like the goal of getting my equipment is actually attainable. Instead of the daunting number of over $25,000, it seems more like just a few more stepping stones. Just a little more support and we'll be there, like I actually think it's going to happen! I'm anxious about the run, too, because not only will I be able to thank everyone for all they've done to make it possible, but I'm also going to be able to see people I may not have even seen since I got sick. It's a little nerve-wrecking, but also exciting. And I'm really thinking about the concept of doing a "run" for all of this...what I wouldn't give to be next to everyone at that starting line and able to push myself of that same track that Dusty and I have ran together so many times. I hope people won't be taking that for granted when they go out there on the 15th. I hope instead of feeling sorry for me or anything like that, they will instead feel motivated and willing to push themselves. For the simple reason that they're actually able to.

Speaking of the run, I got an unexpected phone call the other day. It was a writer from local newspaper, the Winchester Star. The woman had seen my flyer and wanted to interview me about my story and hopefully promote the run. I'm really hoping it gets the word out even more. The woman sat in the living room and talked to me for over an hour about my experiences this past year (all the while, her photographer shot photographs...I'm hoping they're good photos and not just of me mid sentence with my mouth wide open, haha). As she went to leave, she said to look for the story in the Saturday paper. The Saturday paper?! That's kind of a big deal! But until I see the story and the picture, I don't want to tell everyone to watch for it, haha.

1 comment:

  1. I just read your story in the Winchester Star! My father is paralyzed from the neck down and can move his arms but not use his hands. He had an accident working on a house almost 10 years ago and it changed our familys life. He was depressed for a long time and was in different hospitals for almost a year following the accident. We've had ups and a lot of downs but at least he is alive and still with us. My neighbors helped us out a lot with food and stuff and even continue presently. I'm happy reading about your story in the paper about everyone supporting you and your family!

    ReplyDelete