Monday, October 17, 2016

October 17

I could not have asked for a better turn out Saturday. We got together on Thursday of last week in order to organize everything and assemble the bags for each runner, but people were still signing up on Friday night and some people even showed up on Saturday morning to sign up in person. It was so great seeing everyone and I was overwhelmed by all the support everyone showed me. Dusty is always telling me "everyone loves you, Kel," but I really felt it that morning.

First of all, my friends, Caitlin and Christin, came in for the weekend. They drove all the way from Philly and even switched clinic shifts in order to make it. Not only was it great to be able to catch up with them, but they helped so much with the race and getting things in order for the event and our get together at the house afterwards. We were up making posters until almost midnight!

It was such a beautiful morning with the sun shining and a cool fall breeze. I spent the whole first hour at the park just greeting people and giving out like a hundred hugs, haha. All of my biggest supporters, some people I hadn't seen in a long time, and then some people I've never even met all came out. At the end of the event, people were already asking if we were planning to do it again next year. I hadn't really thought about it, but that's a great idea! I feel like even if it isn't to raise money for me or anything that I need, it would be really great to still have a "kel's fun run" to support spinal cord injuries or something like that. Wouldn't it be awesome to do it every year, making it a more well known event, and make a difference for someone else?

Dusty gave a nice opening speech (while standing on the back of a pick up truck). And I got to blow the blow horn to start both the 5K and the fun run races. Dusty pushed me and we started off the fun run, then Christin took over and pushed me the rest of the way. She was even running while pushing me so that we could be at the end of the race to greet the majority of people finishing.

John at the Butcher Station made amazing power bars and muffins. Mackintosh donated apples. And Costco gave us waters to distribute. We had a table that said "Just like the quote says, this journey is full of ups and downs. Please write a note of encouragement for Kelly to read during those 'down' times." I really hope I don't have that many bad days, but I'm glad I now have all these cards to read to turn those days around and put a smile on my face.

People were still coming up to me at the end of the race. People came out for their first 5K, a friend hadn't ran since her double knee replacement, a friend was there on his birthday, a bunch of people from my high school and college came, and a couple celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary by running their first 5K together. A girl I knew from Bridgewater even came and brought her parents. She came up to me afterwards to tell me that she didn't want to get emotional, but felt she had to tell me about how she always looked up to me in college since I was a year ahead of her and also a biology major, but that she admired me even more now. Let me tell you, that almost made me emotional! It was so kind.

Afterwards, we had people over to our house just so we were able to talk to everyone a little more and relax. And later that afternoon, the girls and I went down to Bridgewater for the football game. It wasn't a very good game, but it was nice to take a little road trip together, show them my school, and continue to tailgate.

It was such a great and successful weekend (the even ended with a Redskins win against the Eagles!!!) And I'm so excited to say that we raised enough money for the stim bike and hopefully it'll be here by the end of the month!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment