Saturday, October 24, 2015

October 23

Today started with seeing the respiratory therapist, like usual, to clean around the trach site.  We took the last step to having the trach remov,ed, which is to cap it so all my breathing is on my own.  If I can tolerate this through the weekend then I can have the trach pulled on Monday or Tuesday.

I had OT at 9. Natalie made me lay on my stomach, a position I have always hated. Laying prone gives the hips a good stretch and strengthens the neck muscles by lifting up. It went much better than the first time I was on my stomach (but I still don't like it).  We worked on strengthening my upper body so that I will eventually be capable to transferring myself in and out of the wheelchair.  This will be important as I look towards going home.

My eyes have had a lot of problems throughout this disease process. Today, I finally got an eye exam. What's really cool is that one of my teachers from school works here and did the exam.  Turns out a lot of my problems have resolved, but I have convergence excess and a tracking problem. My prescription has also changed slightly.  Fortunately, I have a computer program from school that will help with much of what is going on.

Steph was out of town for a wedding, so I did PT with a guy named Andrew.  We worked on posture and balance.  He found it hard to believe how much arm strength I have after only two weeks of being here.  I am realizing how much stronger my body is everyday.

My diet was advanced to "regular," which means I can have anything that I want.  Because she knows how much I have missed it, Annie brought me chipotle.  It was wonderful!  Dusty and I enjoyed the evening with lots of friends, which is why this is so late being typed up.  Sorry!

Dusty and I had the opportunity to participate in Magee's fundraiser called "walk it out".  They assign people to walk on a treadmill to cover 24 hours straight to raise money.  Dusty and I walked side by side (he was on a regular treadmill and I was on the anti-gravity treadmill).  If you have not seen the treadmill that is used here to teach spinal cord injured people how to walk again you should take a look at the photos on Magee rehab's website.

My first team meeting with all of my caregivers, doctors, therapists and family went very well.  Dr. Formal even said it was the most fun he has ever had at a team meeting.  Everyone says that I am doing remarkable and they are excited for my progress.  The thought right now is that I will be here until the beginning of December.  I will keep you updated as they update me.

I have started to receive mail and it has been great to hear from friends.  If you are interested in sending a note or a funny photo please do!  My address is:
1513 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102







No comments:

Post a Comment