Tuesday, October 27, 2015

October 26

After 52 days, I finally got the trach out!! (Dad counted the days, haha) As soon as the nurse came in to get me up, I told her today was the day. She was so happy for me that she called respiratory right away so it could be out before breakfast. Jarron, the guy that removed the trach, drew a smiley face on the gauze on my neck that covers up the healing hole. All the respiratory therapists had gotten to know me pretty well over the last two weeks, so they would go out of their way to see me and congratulate me all day. It was funny how many nurses and therapists did a double take when they saw me.

My hand cramps are still really bothersome and get in the way of things I'm trying to do throughout the day. I could be eating and my hand will cramp, causing the fork to fall out of my hand. I've struggled to cut my food, even my omelet in the morning. (And there was no chance I could use my fork to cut softer food, like I used to.) This morning, I cut my sausage patty! This was big considering that I couldn't feed myself a week ago, I also opened my milk carton... you know, those cartons that gave you such trouble at lunch in  elementary school. I've tried multiple times to open them, and I would only get it halfway. It's crazy how little things like this make my family and me so happy.

Tracy and I tried to come up with a list of goals and things I want to work on during rec therapy. We came up with cooking, doing my hair, and working on my handwriting. My handwriting is currently worse than Dusty's! (love you, Dusty) She wants me to find a recipe on Pinterest (we're both gluten free), write the recipe down, then we'll cook it. We had a little extra time at the end of our session, and plugged the straightener into the wall. I picked it up and surprised both of us by straightening the front of my hair! I also blow dried my hair after my shower tonight...I couldn't even lift the blow dryer up last week.

My sweet weekday nurse, Miss Renee, had all my medications switched to pill form, since I can now swallow all of them. This way, they don't have to go into the feeding tube. The only thing they're using the tube for right now is a liquid protein supplement. I talked to the nutritionist, who said she would look into getting a pill form of the protein as well. The tube has to stay in for at least 6 weeks. I got it on September 16, so she said I may be able to get it out next week! Fingers crossed!

Last week, I painted a sunrise over the ocean, but I couldn't hold my elbows up and had to lower the table so I could still use the arm rest. When I met with my art therapist today, I finished it by writing a few words I thought I needed to read each day. I couldn't believe that it actually looks like my handwriting! I guess I need to start practicing my handwriting with a thicker pen or marker. The painting is below. I'm already excited for art therapy next week.





1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I love hearing about your progress, super woman <3

    ReplyDelete