Monday, January 2, 2017

January 1

I have great news to share as we start the new year! (I'm a little behind in the update, but I figured this was a good time to share). I went back to Baltimore on December 28 to see Dr. Pardo, my neuro-immunologist at Hopkins. I haven't seen him since the end of July (so, 5 months ago), and I knew a lot had changed in the time...but I don't think I realized how much! First of all, I wanted to look "cute," so I wore jeggings (for those of you that don't know, they're basically stretchy jeans) and my favorite pair of boots that I wear solely for the look because they're kind of a pain to get on and off. They have a small zipper on the inside that doesn't go all the way up and they're so tall that they come to my knee. So, of course, the first thing the doctor had me do was take them off and put them back on. He wanted to see how well I function, like if my legs are stiff or spasm too much that they interfere with daily tasks like this. Luckily, I didn't show any signs of struggle!

He asked for an update on what has changed, what is good since I saw him and what things I have problems with or any questions I have. Fortunately, I mostly just had good things to report. I told him how much stronger I had gotten and that I have a little more control over my minimal leg movement. I also felt my core had gotten much stronger and my balance has improved. He then asked me to move different things and checked sensation, etc. and told me that within the last five months, my injury level has changed from T4 to...wait for it....T10!! Basically, from upper chest to my hips. He was so excited about it too! While I wish the level were somewhere further down, like to my legs already, that's quite a huge jump in such a short time. As I was leaving, he told me my goal for 2017 was to be able to take steps with the walker instead of just being able to stand for a couple minutes at a time before my knees gave out.

I also saw my urologist, who had even more good news! He prescribes one of my bladder medications to prevent bladder spasms (It is pretty uncommon in SCIs to not have to use a catheter, but I was fortunate enough to have not ever had to. And now I don't even have to "time void" because I have regained sensation). He was so pleased with this that he said he doesn't even really need to see me any more. Maybe once a year, if even, just because he prescribes one of the medications.

It was such a successful trip to Baltimore and the news made me even more excited to return to KKI on the 9th. I'm returning for therapy for two weeks of intense boot camp (monday-friday) to kind of "kick start" things, then I'll transition to long term. Dr. Recio had wanted me to do at least 8-12 weeks, so we'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment