Sunday, December 13, 2015

December 11

I don't know if the days are getting better or if my mood is even more uplifted by having a countdown until I go home. Things have been going really great, so I'm glad to end my stay at Magee on a positive note.

My ability to regulate temperature is still very inaccurate. I'm constantly cold (but that's nothing new) and sweaty. It's the worst combination! We've tried several different medications without too much luck, but I just keep reminding myself that this is just part of the healing process. It may take awhile to get under control, but at least that means my body is trying to heal itself. I went on another outing on Friday morning. This weather has been unbelievable! I was worried I'd be too cold, especially since we went out at 9:00am, but it was absolutely gorgeous! I was in my manual chair and went about 3 blocks to LOVE park, to the other side of it because that's where the ramp is, and then went around Christmas village, taking in all the Christmas decorations. Of course, I had to get a picture in front of the LOVE statue and I needed to stop for coffee before we headed back. My first outing in the manual chair went well, but I could still tell a big difference in how much stronger I was. I didn't have as much trouble going up the larger curb cuts with bigger inclines. I also didn't feel as tired, so my arms much be getting even stronger! I've always lifted weights at the gym, but my arms (especially the triceps) may be stronger than they've ever been.


It's still just so hard to believe that when I got to Magee on October 8, the only motion I had was a little finger twitch. I couldn't even hold up my own head and my vocal cords were still paralyzed.

I did some more work on all 4s in OT. It's not really my favorite thing to do, but it really helps put weight through my legs and helps to engage my glutes and abs.

I kind of knew my friends were up to something, but I had no idea how many of them were going to come! Lauren made the best gluten free coconut macaroons, Marie made my favorite pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and even made them gluten free, and Janae and Jenessa brought buffalo chicken dip (because that's necessary at any party!) Oh, and they also brought Starbucks and presents!! Robin, the concierge that works here, opened up a big conference room for us and we sat in there eating and telling stories. I was sitting there trying to squeeze my thighs in and out (like I usually do), and I swear the movement was more obvious than it has been. I went to ask Marie if she saw it when Christin asked "are you doing that?!" from across the room. Well, that got everyone's attention and a few of us just started crying. I was so thankful to share that moment with all of them.


When all my friends left, I went downstairs to the dining hall. I shared that story with the other patients downstairs and with Robin (who even started crying). This was what I'd been praying for! I just wanted some more movement before I went home for Christmas. We all know how much just a week of therapy can make, so I'm excited to see what will come of the next 11 days!


Patience has been one of the many struggles throughout this process. I can't even count how many times God has told me to be patient...I don't always listen, but here it is again. He said to accept His time frame and that hurry isn't in His nature. I think God knows that I need to hear this over and over again. He knew how frustrated I was getting that I didn't have more obvious movement in my legs and then let that special moment today. I'm just so amazed at how many answered prayers there have been on a daily basis.













No comments:

Post a Comment