Saturday, December 17, 2016

December 16

The past week has been pretty hectic. My Aunt, Uncle and cousin visited from Australia. I haven't seen my cousin in I don't even know how many years, so it was fun to catch up and actually get to know each other now that we're older and not just kids playing games around the holidays anymore. The two of us went to the gym with my uncle and lifted together, which was a little funny, but I was able to hang in there with the guys! (If you didn't know, pushing yourself in a wheelchair 24/7 really helps to make your arms extremely strong, haha). I was bummed to have to leave before their stay was over, because I would have enjoyed a few more days together, but Dusty and I had plans over the weekend.

Dusty's friends had their fourth annual Christmas party last weekend. Their circle of friends has gotten bigger and bigger as the high school friends collected college friends and everyone has gotten married, engaged, or added a girlfriend to the group. Since everyone is kind of spread out, they change who hosts the party each year. This year it was in Charlotte, NC. It was a long drive, but we had such an amazing weekend. The guys always love catching up and doing their own things, and surprisingly, all the girls have become really good friends. We even ordered our OWN shirts this year, without the guys (with the back of each shirt saying we were "married" "engaged" or "dating" the ____ alcoholic nomad). Alcoholic nomad was a name one of the dad's gave the group of guys during his father of the bride speech a couple months ago. It was hilarious and we had so much fun planning our shirts and starting a group chat, making sure we were doing things "without the guys." (and the end the weekend, the Redskins pulled off an amazing win against the Eagles, which is always a great way to start the upcoming week).

On Monday, I got some blood work done--and everything is fine. I have to get my thyroid levels checked every couple months to make sure I'm not taking to much or not enough thyroid replacement medication. After all, I wouldn't want what happened in the hospital to happen again. (The doctors at Magee changed my thyroid medication dosage, making everything off balance--weight gain, hair loss, brittle nails, change in energy level and sleep patterns. You name it, your thyroid controls an incredible number of things).

On Wednesday, I had an appointment in Chantilly with people from the Drivers Rehabilitation office that I met at the expo. I'm amazed at how fast things have moved along with that so far. It was just an evaluation--they checked my vision, reaction time, and watched me transfer in and out of the car. They also showed me a couple different kinds of hand controls. You can actually mount it on the left or right and they have different grips, etc. I was also impressed that there's a cover that can go over the pedals to prevent me from accidentally pressing on the brake or gas if I got a leg spasm. I'm glad they have such a thing, but I hadn't even thought of it before! Tammy, the woman in charge, said that I was going to be a pretty simple case since I didn't have any upper body deficits and the next step is to wait for something from the DMV (hopefully within the next week), telling me to come take the permit test. I seriously can't believe I have to take that again! Although, it's probably good, the more I think about it. I've realized how many road signs I don't know and having to study them again is only going to benefit me, haha. The really unfortunately thing is how much all of this is going to cost, though. Once I get my permit, I can only drive with the instructor and I'll have to complete so many hours on the road (I'm not sure the specifics yet). Then, there's a lot of paperwork and then I'll have to pay for the adaptive equipment and the cost to install it in mom's car. I really need a new car because I don't have one any more, but I think the most cost effective thing to do right now is just to modify what we have. I think once it's all over with, it's going to cost close to $5,000. It's mind blowing that getting your license back would be that expensive. I'm looking into different organizations that may help cover the cost of the driving lessons or the cost of the equipment, so hopefully something works out.

I'm giving my speech tomorrow and I found out there are going to be 350 people!!! I'm sure it'll be fine, because the easiest topic to talk about is myself and my own experiences, but I'm still a little nervous! I finally finished writing it and I'm pretty happy with it...I'll post it in my next blog after I give it. I think the words I wrote are good, I just pray I'll be able to deliver it well.




No comments:

Post a Comment